Sorry I have been MIA recently. I have been busy traveling and hosting visitors. But I’m back with another installment to one of my favorite new hobbies: SNAPCHAT RECIPES!
Snapchat is so fun for me. I love the stickers, and the ability to speed up or slow down your videos. I also LOVE sharing my cooking. 99% of the time I’m eating alone, so this allows me to “share” my food with my friends and followers and show you fun, new recipes to try yourself! If you want to follow along, find me at kcrev on Snapchat. I try to post recipes whenever I’m cooking anything interesting.
For this recipe, I made DELICIOUS plantain tacos. Seriously, I was so impressed with how these turned out and they were so flavorful and not too difficult to pull off! You will surely impress anyone you make these for 🙂
So lets see how this works:
For the recipe you will need:
(makes 4 tacos, adjust depending on # of people serving)
- 2 ripe plantains (they will be slightly tender/soft to the touch, like a ripe avocado, and also have brown spots — see the middle plantains in the main photo for an idea!)
- Tortillas of choice
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 limes or lime juice
- 1 Red onion
- Other toppings: I used black beans and corn, you can add lettuce, cheese, salsa, whatever you have or want!
- Spices & Seasonings:
- Agave (or sugar or honey)
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Vegetable oil
1. I pickled the red onions, and they were BOMB. You should too. This is a quick pickle method and it was awesome!!! Cut your red onions into thin strips, put them into a colander and pour boiling water slowly over them, this will soften them (as if they were pickling in liquid over night!). In a separate bowl, add the juice of one lime, 1/4 tsp of salt, and 1 tsp of agave to the liquid. Stir, and add onions in. Stir the onions in the brine, and remember to stir them periodically while the other things cook! They will be delicious and pickled in 30 minutes! 😀
2. Peel and cut the plantains. Add them to a bowl and add seasonings: I added 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 2 tsp agave. Stir.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add plantains (see video) and reduce heat if they are browning too quickly. I reduced my heat to medium low. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until they are golden brown and look slightly crispy. Then flip and repeat. Once they are cooked on both sides. Place on plate with paper towel to drain excess oil.
4. While this is happening, I heated up a can of black beans (rinsed) and some frozen corn on the stove. I also mashed a whole avocado with a little lime juice and salt.
5. Once your plantains are cooked fully, it’s time to assemble the tacos! As you can see from the video, I spread out some avocado, added the corn and beans, added some plantains and topped with the amazing pickled onions! I really think those are essential because they add a crisp, acidic bite, and really balance out the sweet and salty and spicy aspects of this dish. It was SO good. I am drooling just writing the post.
I hope you all try these at some point! Plantains are so delicious and they are pretty easily found in most grocery stores by the bananas. This is a perfect, light, summery dinner idea that everyone will love ❤
Thanks for reading!